Sunday, August 12, 2012

Yet Another Castle Ruin.

Remember that flat-topped mountain in one of the pictures I posted from Hegyesdi Var? The one called Csobanç?

That was where we found ourselves this weekend.

We took a nice 5km bike ride out to a town called Diszel and rose up a dirt path along some small vineyards and farms to get to the foot of the mountain they call Csobanç (pronounced something like "Cho-bahn-ch").



Confession #1: the dirt road was long and although not that steep, still too steep after three miles of biking. About three-fourths of the way up, the dirt and incline proved to be too much for me. Steve zipped up ahead while I gave up and walked my bike up the rest of the way.

Oh, how my muscles and cardiovascular fitness have deteriorated. :(

Csobanç is quite a bit higher than Hegyesdi Var was and took us about an hour just to walk up. But it was a beautiful view (and made Hegyesd mountain look quite midgety in comparison). The castle that once stood atop the Csobanç was attacked by the Turkish army in the mid-1500s.

From this view, you can sort of see how small Tapolca is and how much shorter Hegyesdi Var is, though you can't hear much of what we're saying due to the wind. From this view, you can get a better idea at how big the Balaton is.

Once more, because pictures tell a better story, here you go: photobomb.



And Confession #2: remember that dirt road leading up to the foot of the mountain that I told you about in Confession #1? yeah, well, I decided it would be a good idea to not pay attention while coasting down (albeit at a moderately slow pace) and I hit some loose gravel and fell off my bike. EMBARRASSING. Plus I'm pretty sure my wrist is sprained (will that get me out of pulling weeds??) and I'm going to have a huge bruise on my knee. Steve heard my nonchalant yelp of panic and turned around to see me sprawled on the side of the road under my bike. I crawled to the side with a busted pride and throbbing wrist and decided to be angry for a few minutes, but with no one to feasibly blame but myself, I gave up on the pouting and we continued on to Tapolca where I bought a bag of mini Choco-Cocos (like Almond Joys but without the almonds. Knockoffs of Mounds bars or Bounty bars.) and a peach yogurt smoothie to make myself feel better.

It worked. :)

Also, I would like to acknowledge the fact that my husband didn't laugh at me till we got back to the farm, although he did admit that if he had been riding behind me instead of in front of me and had actually seen me fall, he probably wouldn't have been able to help himself. :P

Oh, well. That's the price I pay for not paying attention to my surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment