Tuesday, May 14, 2013

My Non-Travel Bucket List

I have started writing down bucket lists before, but they all end up turning into just a list of all the countries in the world and weird things I want to eat. So I have challenged myself to come up with things I'd like to do before I kick the bucket that don't have anything to do with traveling.

DISCLAIMER: That statement about items having nothing to do with travel may not be entirely true.


  • Obtain a CPA license (so I can have a business card with fancy extra initials behind my name.)
  • Design and sew a quilt. And a dirndl. So I can wear it to Oktoberfest!
  • Climb a mountain. A really big one! (Like, umm. Mt Fuji in Japan? Or Mt Kilimanjaro? Or....)
  • Bake a loaf of bread that does not double as a blunt object to whack intruders with.
  • Learn to speak another language fluently. (As in, not just "Thank you" and "Another beer, please.")
  • Compete in an amateur ballroom dance competition (Still trying to talk Steve into this one...)
  • Pay a stranger's dinner bill
  • Do a "Trash the Dress" photo shoot with my wedding dress. (One of the three I ended up buying. [Online, for <$400 total. Whoop.] But first I have to fit back into one... :P)
  • Dress up for ComiCon (or other comparable convention of nerds.)
  • Dress up for a USA game (I feel silly putting this on my list, since I already know I'm going to do with for Women's World Cup Canada 2015.)
  • Learn how to ride a horse (that isn't a pony tied to a post that walks in a circle at the fair.)
  • Jump off a waterfall (Steve keeps telling me to do this. I'm scared. But it'll happen one day.)
  • Attach a lock to a love bridge
  • Jump into a taxi and yell "follow that car!" (Should've done this in Vegas. Really, really should have done this in Vegas.)

....so that's about all I came up with, until I decided to type "bucket list" into Pinterest and see what other people came up with (because seriously, I can't think of anything more than "travel to this place" or "eat this") - here is what I've added to my list:

  • Hug a penguin (I'm not sure if this is legal.)
  • Participate in a polar bear plunge
  • Take a trapeze class!
  • Throw a party serving fake alcohol and see how many people act drunk (Too bad I'm not in college anymore.)
  • Throw a drink in someone's face (I wish I could get this mad. I'm past the rage point of my life, though.)
  • Attend a masquerade (why didn't I think of this myself??)
  • Have a paint fight (I imagine this will happen if Steve and I ever decide to stop traveling long enough to settle down and buy a house to paint.)
  • Wade through a cranberry bog
  • Finish an entire big pink eraser (Seriously. Has anyone ever finished one of these??)
  • Swing from a chandelier (and hope it doesn't break)

Things I have crossed off my bucket list before I had a chance to put it on:
  • Marry the love of my life
  • Run a marathon (Well. Complete a marathon.)
  • Sing karaoke in front of a bunch of people (Every Thursday, Red Lion!)
  • Smash a pie in someone's face (Technically it was cake. Marcus.)
  • Eat a spaghetti taco (I was mind-boggled for a moment, seeing this on someone's list. Then I realized... I've done this before.)
  • Dance even if no one else is and even if I look like a fool (which I'm sure I do.)
  • Live without fear. (I'm there, finally. So I have no excuse to not cross every item off this list.)


I know, I know, I'm cheating... It isn't really writing blog posts if I'm just making lists. But Steve will tell you, there is nothing I love more than making lists. (Other than him, or Billy, or traveling, or food.)

But it's better than nothing! And now that these things are written for the world to see, maybe I'll do them sooner rather than later!

2 comments:

  1. Come to Colorado and climb a mountain. We have big, legit mountains! You always have a place to stay. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so basically I'm the opposite of you and I'm scared of everything, though I'd love to be adventurous. I'm working on it..? But I'm proud to say I have jumped off a rock into the pool of a waterfall. I think if I jumped off the actual waterfall I would've died because it was one of those huge ones at Yosemite. But the rock I jumped off was still pretty high, so I'm counting it as impressive. Maybe the most out of character thing I've ever done and I'm still not sure how I did it. That and snorkeling. I have no idea how I convinced myself to get into the ocean where my feet couldn't touch and there were fish there. Love this list, I've been working on my own!

    ReplyDelete