Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Two More Weeks.

Two weeks from today, my outrageously handsome husband and I embark on our honeymoon/one-year anniversary/prelude to relocation trip.

Four months in Europe.

FINALLY!!!!

It feels like, in this relationship, I am always in the planning/waiting stage for something. We met in college and started dating at the end of 2008. It started out as, I kind of know you, I kind of like you, then *BOOM* - I have always known it was you. We are meant to be together. We love all the same things, and our personalities complement each other perfectly. Why hadn't we met sooner? Even our pre-college hometowns sound almost the same. Redding, Redlands... I'm pretty sure that stork got the names mixed up. I had never believed in true love, soulmates, love at first sight, etc, and then I met Steve and realized, I have been waiting for you my whole life.

We got engaged about a year after we started dating, and decided to wait till we graduated before we got married. Our 18-month engagement meant lots of time to plan, fall more in love, procrastinate, change our wedding ideas, save money, and get all our pre-marriage fights and problems out of the way. There was never a moment in that year and a half where I second-guessed my decision to marry this man. It was just a lot of waiting.

We were married on May 29th, and by June 1st we were back at work. We wanted to make our honeymoon epic, and decided to attend the EURO2012 soccer tournament, which is being hosted jointly by Poland and Ukraine. Our plan was always to relocate out of Southern California, so we figured we might as well take a big trip before we move to a new place. Tickets to the second most prestigious soccer tournament in the world (after the FIFA World Cup) would be our first year anniversary gift to each other (these tickets are made of paper, after all). And so from May 2011 (and before that, really, because we'd started planning for it before the wedding) until now, I have been yet again waiting.

Somehow our soccer honeymoon has turned into a four-month extravaganza in Europe that will include not only the EURO2012 tournament (to which we have tickets to five games!), but also a lot of traveling within Central Europe, farmstays on a cattle ranch in Hungary and a buffalo reserve in Ukraine, and Oktoberfest in Munich.

And now, I only have two weeks left to wait.

That fact has not really hit me yet.

:D

No comments:

Post a Comment